Friday 18 January 2008

Public Service Announcement

Much as I enjoy the occassional beer, it is the total lack of Cider in jakarta that pisses me right off.

It has probably been good for my health not to have indulged in consuming superhuman quantities of this particular amber nectar, but every now and then I get the hankering for the tart electric soup known as Cider.

Searching away, I found this little gem and am heading off as we speak to buy the apples after the success of my first batch. (Which I may add was consumed by myself with no-one else even being aware that I had any)

So, here it is, DIY Electric Soup.

Photobucket


Ingredients

3 lb frozen cooking apples
6 Quarts of water ( about 12 pints)
2 lb granulated sugar
r 3 juicy lemons
1 oz bruised ginger (optional)
Method

Freeze the apples for three days in closed plastic bags in the freezer.

Wipe the defrosted apples, cut into pieces and put through the mincer together with the peel and core.

Place in a fermenting bin and pour on the fresh cold water.

Leave for 7 days, stirring well night and morning.

Strain the liquor carefully through muslin. Mix it with the sugar, grated lemon rind and strained lemon juice. Leave for 24 hours.

Strain and bottle in screw topped bottles.

Bruised ginger may be added if wished with the lemon - but beware adding too much or it will taste like Ginger Beer. (This is an ace option, great with Vodka)

This cider will be fit to drink in a week, but it improves if kept a few months. My first bottle was popped in a week, the Ginger Beer ones lasted 8 weeks and tasted a lot better.

Painkillers anyone!

2 comments:

  1. I make a better chocolate cake.

    Your time was well-wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasted, you should have seen me after a bottle of the Ginger Beer with added Absolut Vodka...

    ReplyDelete